Dogs and Bees. A cartoon for a bee stinging a dog.

Many of us remember our first experience with bees, and for the most part it’s usually not a positive one. You may have been the curious kid who stood to close to the bee hive, or an innocent victim who was taken by surprise by an angry bee. Either way, the afternoon was spent running and screaming into the house looking for help. Although we know better than to bother bees, our pets may find a buzzing bee to be a good time.

Dogs are fascinated by bees and wasps. In many cases, if a dog is stung by a bee or wasp, they may experience a mild irritation which should subside within a few hours.  Wasp and bee stings are most common in the spring, summer, and early fall months. Dogs are typically stung on their paws or around their face.  Some dogs may be stung on the tongue or inside the mouth, or throat, especially after eating a stinging insect. How do we know if Fido is allergic to bee or wasp stings?

Signs of an allergic reaction may include:

• Diarrhea

• Swelling around the affected area

• Swelling around mouth and neck (even if not stung there)

• Disorientation

• Weakness or collapse

• Wheezing or breathing problems

It is uncommon for pets to experience serious reactions from wasp and bee stings. Most reactions to bee stings are mild, but it is important to recognize to keep a close eye on your pet for a few hours just in case of an allergic reaction.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Uncategorized