According to the Centers for Disease Control, two out of three American adults are overweight or obese. Likewise, over 50% of dogs in the US were classified as too heavy by their vet. The good news is all of that can change because you and your pet are the perfect workout buddies. Here’s why.
1. Burn Equal Energy- Humans and dogs burn about the same amount of energy per pound while walking or running. For example, dogs burn around 0.8 calories per pound per mile at a brisk walking pace (4 miles per hour). In comparison, humans burn about 0.73 calories per pound per mile at a similar speed.
2. Reduce Risk of Disease- Regular exercise keeps both you and your pet healthier and reduces the risk of diseases such as type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, and more.
3. Similar Pace and Speed- Most dog’s natural speed is around a 15 to 17-minute per mile pace. This is a brisk walk for people and is one of the best walking speeds for helping you stay healthy.
4. Social Creatures- For the most part, both dogs and humans like and need social interaction. Staying connected to the outside world proves to be physically, emotionally, and mentally healthy for both you can your pet.
5. Great Motivation- What greater motivation for staying fit than man’s best friend? Having your dog as your workout buddy will deepen your connection and help both you and your pet feel better.
So, grab your pup and get moving!
Overweight & Obesity Statistics. [Internet] Available from: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/overweight-obesity
Adult Obesity Facts. [Internet] Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html
Pet Obesity is an Epidemic. [Internet] Available from: https://www.aaha.org/publications/newstat/articles/2020-02/pet-obesity-is-an-epidemic/